Today, I set out on an adventure to make cupcakes from scratch. After watching the Gwinnett Braves kick butt yesterday against Louisville (10-2), I was inspired to make Gwinnett Braves themed cupcakes!
I don’t remember ever baking anything from scratch by myself (with the exception of baking on a small wooden chair next to Grandma when I was little). While I still thoroughly enjoy opening a box of Ghirardelli or Duncan Hines to make cakes or cupcakes, I found this cooking adventure to be exciting and a little messy (messy is fun until you have to clean it up). To decrease messiness, do not (I repeat, DO NOT) turn the mixer on medium when you start (Flour can poof in face. You see where the messy starts to enter the equation).
Ingredients for Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (or 1/3 teaspoon baking soda as substitute for forgetting to get baking powder at store)
1/4 teaspoon salt (if you use your salt shaker, be aware that not ALL of that salt is going on the measuring spoon…fun fact.)
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup whole milk
Frosting (see below for directions on frosting)
Directions for Cupcakes
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder (or soda), and salt in bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in stand or hand mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium low.
- Beat in half of flour mixture.
- Beat in milk.
- Beat in remaining flour mixture.
- Divide batter among the muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean (approximately 18-20 minutes)
- Allow to cool. Top with frosting!
Ingredients for Buttercream Cupcake Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature (or 2 sticks of unsalted butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon food coloring
Directions for Buttercream Cupcake Frosting
- Place butter and sugar in medium bowl and use mixer to cream until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and heavy cream to mixture and continue with electric mixer.
- Add selected food coloring.
- Frost your cupcakes! (I used Farberware Icing Bag Set to get this look)